Monday, August 6, 2012

Mental Illness

I have two friends who are schizophrenic, whom I have known for many years. Their families have put up with their 'schizophrenic attacks' for more years than I have known them.

I can't imagine how life is like living under the same roof with a family member who suffers from schizophrenia. To say that it's tough is an understatement (at least from my point of view). To remain sane living with such a family member over a prolonged period of time is a major challenge, if not a near impossibilty.

Although I know that I am supposed to reach out to the mentally ill, I am no longer passionate about reaching out to them. One of the aforesaid friends has worn my patience thin by calling me frequently when she has 'schizophrenic attacks' (even in the middle of the night). In the past, I would have obliged her without due regard to my own well-being. However, over the years, I have learnt that self care is very important and so I am now practically avoiding her calls.

If I am not able to practise self care, then how can I really care for other people without sabotaging my (working) relationship or friendship with them? Therefore, I believe that genuine care for a fellow human being must start with self care regardless of whether one is working in the helping profession or not.
Dare to Dream